Now that we’re in the middle of winter here in Peabody, car battery issues are becoming increasingly prevalent. There is little that is more frustrating than a dead battery, and the last thing you want is to be stuck in the driveway with a dead battery when you need to go to work or the store. Luckily, jump-starting a car is always a possibility. Here at our MINI service center, our team of technicians will share their tips on how to jump start a car.
Jump Starting Procedure
Before getting into the procedure, we will first advise that jump starting a car is not always simple. Schedule an appointment with our service team at our Peabody MINI dealership if you are uncomfortable with the procedure, because serious damage can occur if the jump start is done incorrectly.
In order to jump start a car, you will need:
- Jumper cables
- A power source (either a portable battery or another vehicle)
You will be connecting the two cars’ batteries with the jumper cables. Make sure that the cars are the right distance apart to have the jumper cables reach each battery.
- Check batteries: Ensure that the battery giving the jump has enough voltage and is a matching voltage system type.
- Ready cars: Put both cars in neutral or park. Turn off the engines.
- Open the hood of each car
- Attach alligator clips to terminals. First, red to dead. Second, red to donor. Third, black to donor, Fourth, black to metal.
- Start the donor car
- Idle the donor car
- Test the interior light of the car being jump started
- Start the dead car
This is only a brief overview, so please gives us a call for more in-depth information about jump-starting a car before proceeding. Of course, it is always easier to schedule a battery appointment with our MINI service center.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.